Domain Name Questions
1. What is a domain name?
Your domain name is your address on the internet. Actual internet locations are identified by an IP address, 188.8.131.52 for example - the network address of a computer connected to the internet. These numbers are translated into words - domain names - to make them easier to remember. All domain names are unique, as they refer to unique internet addresses.
2. Can I check if my domain name is available?
Yes, you can check domain name availability and if available, then place order here.
3. Do you handle domain name registration?
Yes. We can register Country Wise Domains and international domains (.com, .org, .net) on your behalf. In addition, we can also register .info, .biz, .us, .cc, .ca, .nu, .cn, .co.uk, .org.uk Hosting prices do not include the fees of the registry boards, unless you prepay for one year of hosting.
4. How long does it take to register a domain name?
As soon as we receive your order, we make an application to the relevant registry to secure the domain name. This takes only minutes. However, because of the volume of applications the registries handle, we must wait at least 24 hours before we can ensure proper registration of your domain name. If, for any reason, the application is not successful, we will contact you.
5. What is allowed in a domain name?
The only characters allowed in a domain name are the 26 letters of the alphabet, numbers 0-9 and dashes (-). A domain cannot begin or end with a dash, but it can contain a dash. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) serves as the governing body for domain name registration. ICANN is currently allowing up to 63 characters, but we would recommend you stay below 20 characters.
Domain name registration applications may be rejected for reasons other than the above, especially if they are perceived to infringe trademarks or copyright law.
6. What is the difference between a .co.uk and a .com?
.co.uk is a UK domain name, whereas .com is an International domain name. Both are accessible from anywhere in the world and there is no performance difference between the two. The main difference is in that .com's are perceived as being more international and .co.uk's are seen as being UK based. So if your company has an international market you may prefer to go for a .com, but if your market is mainly UK based or you operate mainly in a local area you may prefer a .co.uk.
7. Can you host non UK and non international domain names?
We host domain names from around the world (eg .ie, .fr and .is, .za). We will be happy to provide you with all the information you will need to register a non UK/international domain name. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
8. The name I want is not available, but doesn't seem to be in use. Can I get it?
No. The name has either been purchased by another person, or is unavailable for various other reasons, eg it has been reserved by the registry for future use.
9. Who is the owner of the domain name?
Totalwebdesign.com will register the domain name correctly, with you as the owner of the domain name. This means that you have complete control over your domain name and should you want to you can transfer your domain name away at no cost.
10. Where will my domain name reside?
Your domain name will be registered to reside on totalwebdesigns.com domain name servers. If you wish to change your name server information you can tell us in advance or change it later from control panel.
11. I already have a domain name, can I transfer it to totalwebdesigns.com?
Yes, when placing your order make sure that you specify that it is a transfer.
If your web site is active you should keep your old hosting account open for a short time. We will give you an IP number so that you can upload a mirror site onto our servers, ensuring that while your domain name is being transferred your site is accessible at all times.
If you require any further assistance in transferring domain name contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. I made a mistake in spelling my domain name. How do I correct it?
All information except the domain name can be changed in your control panel. If the domain itself is incorrect, please submit a new registration. You will need to pay for the additional name. However, you can point this name to the corrected name to ensure that you receive the maximum number of visitors to your site. If you contact us within 30 days of opening a hosting plan, no hosting fees will be due on that account, but there will be another set up fee for the new account.
13. I don't have a "company" name. What should I use instead?
Please use your own name. It is not acceptable to leave the field blank, nor to enter the words none, personal, home or n/a.
14. May I cancel my domain name?
Yes, you may cancel your domain name. You must provide written authorization from the email address of the registered owner of the domain name. You will not receive a refund if you choose to cancel your domain name.
15. I want to register my domain name now, but do not want a web site yet. What do I do?
If you want to register your domain name now to reserve it, but are not ready to put a web site up, you can 'park' it on our servers.
16. How long does it take for my domain name to become active?
Once your domain name has been registered (or transferred) it can take up to 72 hours before it becomes visible to all users of the internet. This is because all Internet Service Providers need to update their records to show the new location of your domain name. This is called propagation.
17. How will I access my domain name?
You will be able to access the domain name with or without the WWW in front. For example, you could access the domain name "mydomain.com" by going to "www.mydomain.com" as well as "mydomain.com".
18. How can I correct or update my domain name information, such as address or email?
Follow this link http://www.totalwebdesigns.com/domain/index.php. Here you can manage all your domain names. just click on the link to administer your domain name. Please allow 24 hours for the changes to take effect on the registry WHOIS database.
19. How do I change the ownership of my domain name?
Follow this link http://www.totalwebdesigns.com/domain/index.php. Changes to the ownership of a domain name, or disputes about ownership, are an issue between the registry and the registrant of the domain name. Usually, if you have your domain user name and password with you, you can change this information at any time.
20. Do I receive a certificate of ownership of a domain name?
At present, only Nominet, the registry for UK domains (.co.uk, .org.uk etc) issues certificates of ownership. This certificate has a form attached to it that must be returned to the registry to complete the registration process. Registrants can also request changes of ownership with this form. Please note, however, that there is often a considerable delay in the dispatch of these documents, possibly several months.
21. I have registered my name through totalwebdesigns.com, but want to host my domain at another company. What does this involve?
You need to just change the name server information with your hosting companies name server information. For more details contact your web hosting company. If you face any technical difficulties in changing name server information please contact email@example.com for further assistance.
Was this answer helpful?
1. How do I place an order? You can place your order using our online order form. 2.How long...
1. What is a Web-Certificate? A Web Server Certificate permits securer communication between a...
1. Password is not accepted for user joe in my e-mail client? a.k.a. i created one pop account...
1. What is web hosting? Total Web Designs offer domain web hosting and email services. This...
1. What is the CPanel? The CPanel is an end user account manager where you can administer and...
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution